8.16.2007

Hey, How Are You?

Scenario 1

Stranger: Hey how you doing?
Me: (silence) ... (smiles) ...
Stranger: ....... (walks away stiffling a smile)

Scenario 2

Stranger: Hey how are you?
Me: (smiles) I'm good and you? (silence while waiting for an asnwer) ... (walks away but still overhearing the conversation)
Stranger: (mock laugh) I'm good and you?


The dreaded american greeting.

And sadly something I still haven't grown accustomed to.


American culture is very hard to understand and get accustomed to. I grew up in a shletered country where they value decadence and respect above else. And being here in this country whose liberation never fails to astound and baffle me... it's just hard. It's hard adjusting to their ways and even harder growing accustomed to their culture. Because theirs is a culture wholly different from ours.

Deep inside my gut, I'm dreading everything that has yet to come. Because I'm still treading on unfamiliar grounds. And as they, it's only human to fear what you're not familiar with.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go home then.